One of the ways TBC helps conserve and protect land is through collaborative projects, such as the restoration project at Bullfrog Creek, completed in 2014. This partnership of five agencies, under TBC’s leadership, involved two parcels on a 1,620-acre area along Bullfrog Creek in southern Hillsborough County. Its goal was to protect and improve water quality and habitats along this critical streambed area. Management techniques included:
• Design and construction of two low-flow water crossings.
• Prescribed burning to control invasive exotics and maintain fire-adapted native plant communities.
• Treatment of cogon grass and other invasive plants.
• Planting of 1800 Florida-friendly trees and native plants in the riparian buffer.
• Involvement of the agricultural community in a workshop on Best Management Practices.